Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Tree Attacked My Garden

Quite a bit of wind kicked up tonight as a thunderstorm rolled through. I miss thunderstorms. I loved the seeing pouring rain on a hot DC day drenching the street and filling the air with hot, steamy asphalt smells. Or crazy lightening storms while hunkered down in the attic in Ithaca with my roommates to watch the show. But we don't get much of that around here. However, I could have done without this one storm, though, as it finally took down tree #2 in the front yard in the parking strip. Tree #1 was replaced last year (it's replacement fared poorly and didn't make it through the winter). Tree #2 should have been replaced last year, but the City Arborist wouldn't give me a permit to remove & replace it then. I somehow suspect this time he will, since it is half gone already.

But in the meantime, the large piece of tree that fell on my front yard (no people, no babies in strollers, no dogs, and apparently no squirrels either) did manage to do damage to my Flying Dragon plant and my new Daphne. I was just clucking over that daphne, too, and being pleased that THIS one seemed to be doing well, unlike the smaller one that I managed to kill last year. Thankfully the branch knocked over but did not break my two fledgling apple trees, which are still just sticks with a few leaves on them.

IMG_3343

So between meeting up with the wallpaper-removal-guy and my evening meeting with Malaysia, I got to whip out the chainsaw and detach the branch from the tree so I could clear the sidewalk. (Afterwards I pounded my chest and let out a Tarzan yell. Well, no, I didn't really, but I should have, because I am just THAT MACHO. All 5'3" of me. Hear me Roar!)

I see this tree thing costing me another 1.5-2 housing units. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment