Sunday, March 23, 2008

Finish-itis!

Wow, it's been basically a month since I last posted. Well, much has happened, and it revolves around... finishing things!

Big Bad Baby Blanket from SnB.
This taught me, well, one important thing. When I switch from knit to purl, it's tight. When I go the other way around? It's very loose. I have to be Very Careful about that intersection, and actually knit continental a few stitches before and after a changeover. This probably explains why my ribbing tends to look a little funny.

IMG_2075

This BBBB will get shipped off to my cousin & his wife, who are expecting in July. I should be thinking about the next baby present, since several are due. But I got distracted by the Mason-Dixon Felted Boxes. I had in my stash several skeins of Lopi - this single ply, humongous, itchy wool that actually makes my lungs hurt if I'm around it too much. Allergies, I suppose, and this is wool that is perhaps a little too close to the sheep. Achoo! One box down. Achoo! Second box, and I've used up probably 6-7 skeins. Whoo hoo! They just need to be felted now...

Other big news? The Yoga Hoodie I started over Xmas is done! The bulk of the knitting has actually been done a while, but I had to deal with the curling edges. I had to deal with the buttons.

IMG_2087

Done (or at least done enough. I may yet add another round of crochet to the hood edging, and adjust the toggle buttons.). Done enough to wear. Just in time to wear once or twice before spring really hits. Sigh. Heavy wool sweaters and daffodils...

IMG_2081

There was a fair amount of problem solving on this one - how to handle the not-wide-enough border. How to thread thick yarn through small buttonhoes (ans: tie a thread to the yarn, use a normal small needle to go through the buttonhole, pull the yarn through. Voila!). Having faith in blocking to deal with the garter stich bottom border curling (I would add more garter stitch next time, I think, or just go to ribbing. Safer.

Oh, yes, and the Christmas Socks are done!
IMG_2046

Hard to believe, but the large volume of sock yarn that Lisa endowed on me for CHristmas has actually done wonders for slowing down my yarn purchases. I actually feel like I have, well, enough yarn for probably the next two years.

I've started the next round of socks - a Regia Silk yarn, brown black and white stripes, my basic sock pattern. I went for fewer stitches to snug up the sock a bit. I'm a little concerned that I should have used a smaller needle for this yarn. Only time will tell. Lovely soft yarn, though :-)

And now? I actually threw a bowl, am working on rescuing a pot from December, and have rolled out two inch-thick slabs to try out as outdoor tiles. 12 lbs of clay each!

No comments:

Post a Comment