Monday, May 19, 2008

I am a Nielsen Family

When I was a TV-engrossed teen, I often found myself in conflict with the greater population on what was "popular". How on earth could these people not love "Voyagers?" or "Fame"? I mean, like, the guys in them were Soooo Cuuuuutttte! Did not the rest of America SEE? Who were these Nielsen-ratings morons who got it all wrong?!?

Well now, it's me.

This week, I am a Nielsen family. Yup, I'm representing YOUR interests. Or not. I'm thinking I might be a statistical anomoly (where they look up the information and say something along the lines of "Damn Portlanders, never watching TV." Screw with my statistics, will you! That's right, I finally, officially, get to be the outlier. THough I'm pretty sure most folks at work would say that's no surprise to them.

D doesn't watch any TV - it's his DVD's, internet, or computer games, so it's really all about me this week. Broadcast stuff doesn't really thrill him, though he'll sit down and be sociable if I'm watching and don't immediately turn it off to hang out with him instead.

And what have I found? I do watch TV, but I'm whimsical. I record the shows I really like (you note those down separately) but I watch them at my convenience. I will sit & flip through channels, but with limited broadcast options (hooray for no cable!) I either pretty quickly find something I'm interested in, or off it goes.

Totals so far?
Thursday - 2 hours: OPB (Oregon Field Guides - scary spiders!, Voyages of Discovery: Cook), ABC with Grey's Anatomy, and a few minutes of Without a Trace (which I was also recording).
Friday - 0hrs, but recorded Numbers.
Saturday - 1.75 hrs: OPB (America's test kitchen - steaks, Ask This Old House) and part of an older movie (Mona Lisa Smile, which I hadn't seen. An hour of this was enough).
Sunday - 0.75hrs: OPB (Secrets of the Dead: on the volcano-induced tsunami that probably took out the Minoan civilazation. Really interestng recent research!)
Monday - 1 hr so far (but there's not much of the evening left): OPB (Antiques Roadshow) and Bones. Recording House and CSI: Miami.

I'll have to update weekly totals and check how I'm fairing against the national averages once the week is up!

Knitting-wise: Not a whole lot, though I did start a "stuffie" that requires photos, and by the time I get the camera out, I hope to be close to done.

And the 2nd sock of Trekking XXL is just about done, which is good because I'm a little sick of it. Maybe mittens next. Or lace. Or a sweater. Or more baby presents, since that's what I'm behind on.

No comments:

Post a Comment