Saturday, September 19, 2009

A week's worth of throwing = 11

It's now officially one week of being back into ceramics, and I have little to report other than 4 cylinders an evening appears to be my current limit. Tonight, I pushed it and threw 4 mug bodies and one large (3.5 lb) bottomless rectangular piece, inspired by Rodrigo's admiration of a similar piece at Hilary & David's house. When I stood up...GROAN...everything was tight. There were even ligaments or tendons or whatever at the backs of my knees that were tight. I think I need to stretch every two pieces, even if I have all the clay ready to keep throwing.

So I now have 7 mugs with handles drying, in various states of stumpieness (seems to be something that's plagueing about half of them), and 4 more w/o handles. It feels good to see my little collection growing - I have a full kiln shelf now, for sure! I'm starting to think I should make the land-locked yacht club mugs for Christmas. If I sketched some boats on them, I think that'd be most excellent. I'll need to dig around in my photos for some good references.

ETA: The 4 w/o handles now have handles - Nolan & Connor, Kelly's kids, came over and watched me pull a handle and attach it to one of them. Now I can be the nutty neighbor with a boat and a wheel in the basement :-).

leather hard up front, bone dry in the back
7 mugs in progress

here's the bottomless piece in progress:
3.5 lbs - whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment