New Year's Resolution has been to do something new, go somewhere new once a month. Not so hard, right? Especially not with a little planning and dragging ones' friends into the fray.
January has been accomplished!
1) made yogurt. This was made easier by buying a yogurt maker, but it's been something I've wanted to try for a while, given my large volumes of yogurt consumption. 2 batches in - one small, one large. Current verdict: large batch needs to incubate longer to get more flavor - I might need to go with a half-large-batch. But texture is good. I will make this again, but more experimenting is in order - I still don't have true Greek Yogurt.
2) went to Offbeat Belly Dancing at the Blue Monk. I've been hearing about this for ages, and Karissa (who hosts and dances) is a very witty woman. Tamara was completely an enabler here, since I doubt I would have gone alone. The traffic gods were with me and I was able to get to Hillsboro to SE Belmont in a reasonable time - under an hour - and scored Tam's favorite table. Dinner was a good salad. The dancers were overall good - our warmup dancer was perhaps not the most skilled, but she (as well as everyone else) were definitely having fun. Verdict: would probably go again, bigger crowd desired, and would definitely bring earplugs next time. My eardrums felt a little abused. Tam likes the All-Skate, I'm not a big fan of it - brings to mind too much the wedding dance floors or at reunions - where some people dance and then a bunch of people sit around and watch them.
The other fun January event doesn't count as a new item, but as an excuse to get together with friends - it was a good one. The All Pie Diet as a brunch had about 18(!) people show up if you include the half-pints. A very good balance of sweet & savory pies, and true to form, no crappy ass Safeway pies were brought. You've got to love my friends!
Up for February:
Chinese New Year - potstickers (and I'll make scallion cakes)
Get Mortified
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment