Tuesday, November 20, 2007

House Gear

Wow, am I sick of house chores! There's always another project just lurking around the corner. Every single time I turn that corner, they jump up and yell "boo!". But, we have made progress. The bedroom doorknobs are the wrong color (we should have figured this out a while back, as are the hinges). The lever knob on the door was put in upside-down, but Damien, brilliant Damien, figured it out and calmed my freak-out about not being able to handle upside-down doorknobs every time I came home.

I did finish painting the basement bathroom, which allowed me to move in the cabinets that I painted (the last vacation) on for size. Sizing is good, but they still need countertops, and I'm a little nervous about cutting the countertop solo. I could probably do it, but... No hurry, we still need to get the sink faucet in. Unfortunately, with classes, D has had no time to help out on this. We'll chip away at it.

We did totally score on a paint sprayer. After confessing to some exhaustion (as well as hand fatigue, which can TOTALLY cut into my knitting) I suggested I might have someone paint the rooms. D countered with the idea of renting a sprayer. However, given that we have lots to paint (and have discussed painting the outside in the next few years), I suggested we might just blow a bundle up front to buy a sprayer. Happily, D has experience with these, we found one and Home Depot, and then on a whim, checked craigslist. I LOVE CRAIGSLIST. There it was, same model, for 1/3 the price. Between us we had exactly the right amount of cash (otherwise we would have been collecting quarters), and we got it pretty much within an hour.

As a FUN thing, I met yarn-enabler-extraordinaire Heidi downtown for a kabab-lunch, which is, as always, great fun (and knitting-centric). New place - Hush Hush - though I think I liked the other one around the corner a bit better (they had a mezza platter). I also zipped off to Ann Taylor Loft and bought one of the last skirts to match my suit in town ($30 off, no less, so worth the effort and procrastination). A trip to Powell's meant that I stocked up on books (knitting and books, such a difficult combination!) - the Neil Gaiman short story collection "Fragile Things" hardback was on sale for less than the trade paperback, so it was a no-brainer. Then to Barnes & Noble to spend my giftcard (Susanna Clark short stories, Lian Hearn "Tales of the Otori" new novel I hadn't realized was out. And of course, Home Depot.

Today? Finished watching Cowboy Beebop: The movie (eh, whatever). Good for knitting lace, which I'm in the middle-black-hole on. I'm through 11 repeats now, and probably about 1/3 of the way through the scarf. It's going to be lovely. But there are so many other things to knit!

No comments:

Post a Comment